Saturday, June 5, 2010

What We Did Last Weekend

Back in the days when I spent an inordinate amount of time parsing Greek verbs on a classroom chalkboard in the George Sweeting Center, my friends, Jennifer and Molly, would inevitably approach me at dinner time, asking that I put my perfectionism on pause so that we could skip out on the doleful fodder passing as food in our college cafeteria and instead revel in the hot rolls and sodas that burned your throat at a pizza establishment on Chicago's La Salle Street. When Jennifer sensed any hint of vacillation on my behalf she pulled out the card which always trumped my misgivings of wasting valuable study time (yes, I was that kind of a student) by pulling at my heart strings. "How much more time do we still have left together?"Jen would query. Fifteen years later, though now living in different states hours away from one other, we do still make it a priority to carve out time from our busy schedules, knowing that what is truly invaluable is the gift of our friendships. To you Larsens, Provenzanos, Sabourins, and Maddexs, thank you for always making my crazy family welcome and for your many sacrifices. You are always close to our hearts and we love you. 

First Stop Indianapolis


Precious Thatcher Finnegan. Just turned one. He and I spent some special time together eating beans.


Big breakfast at the Provenzanos. As always, the best scones ever.
Tawnya and Russell's godfather Nathan.


Jennifer and her godson Russell.


Natalya and Amelia have the most awesome wooden kitchen set ever. Made me wish I was five again.
Thomas and Owen loved it too.


Natalya


Amelia

Then to Chesterton


Tonya, Paige, and Molly


Sweet Mary.


My goddaughter Isabelle picked this beautiful bouquet for us.


Janie on the trampoline. 


Pool time fully clothed. Priscilla, Isabelle, and Jane.


Thomas and his godmother.


Elliot can never resist checking for facial hair. With John, aka "Grampie."


Godfather Troy. What a sport.


Too cute.


Our godson Benjamin. He may look fierce and crazy but he truly has the sweetest heart.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

how lovely.

parsing Greek verbs.

I tried Greek and struggled a lot with it! :)

Blessed Sunday to you!

Molly Sabourin said...

Aww, Beth! These warm my heart! : ) My thoughts are filled with your family as you prepare for your huge adventure!! Thanks for this post!!

Sarah in Indiana said...

Hello, I saw the pictures of your family at Close to Home and had to laugh. I knew I had met one of your twins during coffee hour at St. George. Your boys seem delightful, and the twins remind me of a dear friend and old baby sitting charge who is now grown, so the little guy who came up to me in the church hall really tugged at my heartstrings.

Good luck on your travels and with your new baby girl. You'll have to come back to St. George on future visits to Indy (even if it's not race weekend), to visit with our Deacon and other Ethiopian families in our parish.

Nice to 'meet' you.