Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Loving Ethiopia

This morning I opened our most recent newsletter from IOCC, the charitable arm of the Orthodox Church. Besides numerous stories of lives transformed from the aid provided by this agency, there were two in particular which caught my attention. One story was from Addis Ababa and one from Wolayta, the town in which my daughter was born and where her birth family continues to live; both from the land where less than a week ago my feet were grounded. For others, these will just be inspiring stories, but for me, they are everything. And so the ache and the tears begin anew.

When you adopt a child internationally something mysterious transpires between you and land from whose womb your child was born. A sacred covenant is formed as the mother land sacrificially offers up one of her children to be raised in a place and culture not her own. As a mother, you will swear your allegiance to this country, pledging to identify with her in such a way that your children will revere the place of their birth, knowing all the while your efforts will likely be inadequate. Despite the magnitude of this bond, it is usually forged quite unexpectedly as a pang sears your heart and from that pain love begins to grow. From this gift of love, you will receive deep joy but also tremendous sorrow as you mourn the loss and hunger to return.

Day Two: Around Addis


I thought at one point I would write a post entitled, "The Sounds Outside My Room." Perhaps I still will. This picture was taken from our bathroom window. Each day I would listen to sounds of the children in the Holt Care Center intermixed with roosters crowing, and the general hubbub of a city beginning a new day. 


Doing two of the things we love best: reading and drinking coffee.


Our second day was packed full of activities. First was the tour of the Institute of Ethiopian Studies by a young, vibrant man wearing jeans embossed with Bob Marley and Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie.



A painting of St George slaying the dragon in the museum's entrance. Of course we loved that. St. George is especially revered in Ethiopia. On St. George's Day in 1896 the Ethiopian Army, carrying an alter containing the relics of St. George before them, defeated the invading Italians and consequently remain the only African country never to be colonized.


Lunch outside the National Museum which houses the oldest known human skeleton affectionately named Lucy (after the Beatles tune Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds which was popular at the time of her discovery.) We unfortunately did not get to visit the museum. 




Lots of soda drinking for Thomas while in Ethiopia.




The traditional coffee ceremony. Lovely every time.




Coffee served with sweetened popcorn.




Next back to the Care center to visit Little Lu. 






And finally a trip to the Crown Hotel for an evening of traditional Ethiopian food and dancing. Prior to eating, a woman went around with a basin, soap, and water for us to wash our hands. I love ceremony. 


Yummy, yummy food. 


We were so blessed that Simon and Mandy, who were also adopting a little girl, brought their three children too. Thomas with his new friends. 








Not really sure what that face is all about. Perhaps time to go "home" for the night.

12 comments:

elizabeth said...

what a special second day; how wonderful about St. George! He is one of my favourites and I have Icons of him in my hallway, dining area and icon corner... and in my purse / wallet too! :)

so glad that you seek to remember the place and culture of your daugther's birth...

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Love reading your accounts. Reading about the sounds outside your room really takes me back to the sounds, smells and sights. The hustle and bustle in the streets so early in the morning, the prayers over the loud speakers, the strong smell of breakfast. Ah...I miss it.

Julie said...

The perfet post - ah yes, that ache full of pain and love for the family so far away and the gorgeous country they call home. Thanks for writing. Miss you.

Michelle M. said...

I'm am coming to your blog for the first time (via Molly's blog). I just wanted to say how beautiful the photos of Lucia's homecoming are. Your family is gorgeous! May God continue to bless you all.

Molly Sabourin said...

I've read this post through twice now. Once again I am thankful for your willingness to share your incredible experiences with those of us thinking about you and loving you from (always too) afar. The photos are just wonderful, as is your commentary. I cannot wait to see you all again in July!!

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

Love all the beautiful memories captured here...I'm so glad that you are all safe home together :)

Love,
Jenn

Anonymous said...

It is so sweet to read your uplifting words and to see such beautifully transporting photos . . . from one who does not know you but has been inspired by virtual knowledge of your journey, I thank you--I understand a bit now of others reactions to my blog posts when I am in Zambia . . . and I am eager for my return, so happily soon now :-)

Nancy French said...

Hello! What did the article say about that area, in particular?

Naomi's grandmother asked us to teach her where she was from, and in my mind, I thought "Sure, as soon as I get internet access and can google this."

But there's precious little info!

Great blog!

Nancy French said...

Hey -- sorry -- I just realized you had linked!

Jon Marc said...

I'm so glad you made it to Ethiopia! Reading your posts and seeing all your pictures of Addis and the countryside makes me homesick!

A small correction: St. George is widely venerated today because the tabot/ark from his church in Addis (the large octagonal cathedral near Piassa) led the Ethiopian Army to victory over the Italians at Adwa. (I'm not sure there were any British at Adwa. Their last major military venture in Ethiopia before WWII killed Emperor Tewodros II in the 1800s.)

Jared said...

Thanks for the correction, Jon Marc!! That is the most fabulous story I've ever heard. I love it!

Apparently we got something either watered down or lost in translation at the museum.