Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Testament

 My paternal grandparents George and Anna Swanson on their wedding day.

Beginning at a young age, my parents impressed upon me the sacredness of  remembering our dead in tangible ways. And so every Memorial Day weekend, our family would not only journey to the local cemetery in Woodhull, Illinois, where my paternal grandparents, George and Anna Swanson are laid to rest, but we would also make the drive three hours away to the small town of Albia, Iowa, where my grandparents, great grandparents, and great great grandparents, as well as many others from my mother's family are buried. Over the years, my parents have faithfully gathered flowers to be placed on the stones bearing the names of Swanson and Perry, extracted the ubiquitous weeds which inevitably surround the graves, and visibly acknowledged with these acts that our loved ones are not forgotten. And as Time, that great force of life, has lapsed by, new places of visitation have appeared for my parents' siblings who have also passed.

There is really nothing notable about us Swansons and Perrys. We were and are pretty ordinary but hearty folk. We were mainly farmers who grew our own food not because it was fashionable or because we hoped to make a political statement, but because it was necessary for our survival. We grew crops out of our small chunk of land, harvested, and canned them, thus providing nourishment for our family throughout the miserable and lengthy winters bequeathed to those living in the Midwest. We climbed into blackness and forced our bodies into a reluctant earth, extracting costly black rock so that we could pay the bills, never considering that what we were doing might eventually kill us. We worked second jobs for those a bit more affluent than us building roads and working their land. We were hard working, honest people of the earth, manual laborers who were probably considered to be poor and might have been, but somehow we managed to love each other and create a new generation of individuals bearing our names in spite of our lack of material wealth.

To my parents, thank you for fostering within me a respect for life by not shying me away from death. And to those Swansons and Perrys who have passed from this life into the the next, may your memory eternal! "Beneath this stone" a Swanson and a Perry "is planted in his home land, as he wanted. He has come to the gathering of his kin, among whom some were worthy men."  

James and Beryl Perry holding their first born child, my mother. She would be the oldest of four more to come. My grandfather died of lung cancer in his early forties when my mother was only twelve. My grandmother never remarried and raised her five children on her own.

"Testament"
Wendell Berry

And now to the Abyss I pass
Of that Unfathomable Grass...

1.
Dear relatives and friends, when my last breath
Grows large and free in air, don't call it death --
A word to enrich the undertaker and inspire
His surly art of imitating life; conspire
Against him. Say that my body cannot now
Be improved upon; it has no fault to show
To the sly cosmetician. Say that my flesh
Has a perfect compliance with the grass
Truer than any it could have striven for.
You will recognize the earth in me, as before
I wished to know it in myself: my earth
That has been my care and faithful charge from birth,
And toward which all my sorrows were surely bound,
And all my hopes. Say that I have found
A good solution, and am on my way
To the roots. And say I have left my native clay
At last, to be a traveler; that too will be so.
Traveler to where? Say you don't know.

2.
But do not let your ignorance
Of my spirit's whereabouts dismay
You, or overwhelm your thoughts.
Be careful not to say

Anything too final. Whatever
Is unsure is possible, and life is bigger
Than flesh. Beyond reach of thought
Let imagination figure

Your hope. That will be generous
To me and to yourselves. Why settle
For some know-it-all's despair
When the dead may dance to the fiddle

Hereafter, for all anybody knows?
And remember that the Heavenly soil
Need not be too rich to please
One who was happy in Port Royal.

I may be already heading back,
A new and better man, toward
That town. The thought's unreasonable,
But so is life, thank the Lord!

3.
So treat me, even dead,
As a man who has a place
To go, and something to do.
Don't muck up my face

With wax and powder and rouge
As one would prettify
An unalterable fact
To give bitterness the lie.

Admit the native earth
My body is and will be,
Admit its freedom and
Its changeability.

Dress me in the clothes
I wore in the day's round.
Lay me in a wooden box.
Put the box in the ground.

4.
Beneath this stone a Berry is planted
In his home land, as he wanted.

He has come to the gathering of his kin,
Among whom some were worthy men,

Farmers mostly, who lived by hand,
But one was a cobbler from Ireland,

Another played the eternal fool
By riding on a circus mule

To be remembered in grateful laughter
Longer than the rest. After

Doing that they had to do
They are at ease here. Let all of you

Who yet for pain find force and voice
Look on their peace, and rejoice.


10 comments:

elizabeth said...

Memory Eternal!

beautiful... it is good to be from a family that had worked the earth; my Oma grew up on a farm in Holland before coming to Canada and I think this is a very good thing...

Molly Sabourin said...

What wonderful photos, Beth, of your grandparents! I really loved this tribute to your family and I have always appreciated your respect for the traditions passed down to you from your own parents. Wendell Berry just really nails it...every time, doesn't he? Lovely post, as always. Thank You!

Emily Lorelli said...

Wow! What a beautiful post and a poignant poem. It is definitely one I will revisit. Thank you for sharing it and your family's story with us today.

GretchenJoanna said...

It is indeed a godly heritage, learning to honor the dead. Thank you for honoring your own dead by telling this story.

Michelle said...

Beth - you are so eloquent - honestly. I think I enjoyed your tribute more than the poem (which is quite frankly, does not surprise *me*)...

Love the pictures, the traditions. Lovely.

And, by the way, this year the older two and I have been praying through the major cities of the 10/40 window. Last week we just prayed for Addis Ababa - and I felt a twinge of jealousy that next week YOU will be there seeing it first-hand.

Prayers, hugs - and can't wait to see pictures! We all are so excited for you.

~Michelle
PS Alaska is nothing to sneeze at though! :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Beth:
thank you for personalizing this with your family photos--I have always loved looking at people's family albums . . . was it Frederick Buechner who commented that we love looking at albums of others in the hope that we will see someone we recognize . . .?
Anyhow, I do love this poem, and your post.
~Anna

Julia said...

This is beautiful. I love your description of your family and I love the photos too. You manage to do this without romanticizing them or their "ordinariness," which, in retrospect, to anyone who knows how difficult it is to do these ordinary things (work, raise children, grow old) makes them actually very extraordinary and distinguished.

Kris Livovich said...

Wendell Berry can speak perfectly about every human emotion, can't he? I love those pictures of your family. Black and white pictures, even of people I don't know fascinate me. They always seem so stern and serious, but you never know the kind of people they were unless you hear their stories. Your stories of your family are beautiful.

Gunvor said...

Hi...
My name is Gunvor and Im born and leving in Sweden, so my english it´n so good.
Fore a mount ago I discover (?) that I have relatives in Woodhull, Illinois.
It start whit two brothers, Oliver and Swan Swanson how vent til USA and Woodhull 1871. One of Swans sons whas a George Swansson, marrid to a girl named Anna... and they was farmers in Woodhull.

I goggel George Swansson and Anna and found your blogg, but I dont know if my George and Anna and your grandparents is the same people.
The only thing I know abot my George and Anna is that they hawe four kids, tree sons and one dauther...
So to start somewere... howe many kids hawe yours? Did your George live in the farm he was born in?

Regards from Gunvor in Sweden

Gunvor said...

My adress is Lilla-Damen@spray.se ... or not the one I wrote how ends whit spray.com. Regards Gunvor