Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May Day

"What we would like to do is change the world--make it a little simpler for people to feed, clothe, and shelter themselves as God intended them to do. And, by fighting for better conditions, by crying out unceasingly for the rights of the workers, the poor, of the destitute--the rights of the worthy and the unworthy poor, in other words--we can, to a certain extent, change the world; we can work for the oasis, the little cell of joy and peace in a harried world. We can throw our pebble in the pond and be confident that its ever widening circle will reach around the world. We repeat, there is nothing we can do but love, and, dear God, please enlarge our hearts to love each other, to love our neighbor, to love our enemy as our friend."
— Dorothy Day



In all honesty, I have absolutely no time to be writing this. There are three little boys who need to be put to bed and then I must get ready for a symphony fundraiser. But I would be remiss not to pay heed to this day. "Happy May Day!" Russell and Elliot have been shouting out to any one who will take notice. And yes, following the tradition handed down to me by my dear mother, the boys and I placed bags of carefully wrapped cookies at neighbors' doors and completed our covert operation by ringing the bell and then running like mad back to the house (Thomas has decided that sandals greatly impede his speediness.) A blessed May Day to you all. And may we all work to create "little cells of joy and peace in this harried world." And speaking of harried, I must go now, really. If the whirling dervishes are not drinking my coffee then I am sure they are dumping out the cinnamon. If you would like read a bit about why this day is so significant to me, you can click here to read last year's post. 


PS I have just been informed by my co-parent Thomas that the boys indeed have been eating cinnamon, drinking my soda, and dipping their fingers in the sea salt.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

blessed day to you!

Molly Sabourin said...

Has it been a year since your last May Day post?! I remember reading it and thinking, "Next May Day, I will for sure do something special with the kids." But alas, I did not. I forgot it was May 1st completely. : ( I was inspired by your post, of course. I'm inspired by you all the time. I hope you had a wonderful weekend!