Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Give Me Strength

Chagall's Esther

Poetry Wednesday
Give Me Strength
Rabindranath Tagore

This is my prayer to thee, my lord---strike,
strike at the root of penury in my heart. 
Give me the strength lightly to bear my joys and sorrows. 
Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service. 
Give me the strength never to disown the poor
or bend my knees before insolent might. 
Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles. 
And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful Beth!

I especially like this line:

"Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles."

I can really own this poem today.
~Michelle

Molly Sabourin said...

Where do you find these gems, Beth? This poem is a beautiful thing to pray. I loved it very much! Thank you!

elizabeth said...

One of my good friends likes this poet a lot...thanks for sharing!

Kris Livovich said...

This poem was wonderful. Short enough to read every day, but deep enough to need as a reminder every day. Thank you for posting it. You have a whole host of hidden poets, don't you?

Unknown said...

Sorry for the testing post. I was having trouble commenting. Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading Poetry Wednesday posts. I've been impressed with Tagore, and would like to know what volume of his work you recommend?
Thanks,
Janine

Beth said...

Hi Janine. I wish I could be of more help but I basically have just googled Tagore's name and found his poems. They are really beautiful and I would love to put on my bookshelves some of his works. Thank you for your comment. Peace and blessings to you on this day. Love, B