Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Child Angel


The Child Angel
Rabindranath Tagore

They clamour and fight, they doubt and despair,
they know no end to their wrangling.
Let your life come amongst them like a flame of light, my child, unflickering and pure,
and delight them into silence.
They are cruel in their greed and their envy, 
their words are like hidden knives thirsting for blood.

Go and stand amidst their scowling hearts, my child, and let your gentle eyes fall upon them like the forgiving peace of the evening over the strife of the day.
Let them see your face, my child, and thus know the meaning of all things;
let them love you and thus love each other.

Come and take your seat in the bosom of the limitless, my child.
At sunrise open and raise your heart like a blossoming flower,
and at sunset bend your head, and in silence, complete the worship of the day.

Poetry Wednesday

5 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

G-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!!!!

I have never read that before, Beth. I think it is my favorite poem you have posted thus far. I want to raise that kind of child, to BE, myself, that kind of child.

"Let your life come amongst them like a flame of light, my child, unflickering and pure,
and delight them into silence."


Wow, this piece really got to me.

"Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words." -
-- Saint Francis of Assisi

Thanks for sharing this!!

love,
m

p.s. I adore the photos.

Beth said...

Nice to see pictures again right? We were at the cemetery for the Tuesday Popcorn Picnic With Pooh Extravaganza. Thomas was laughing particularly hard about Piglet being bounced around while covertly riding in Kanga's pocket. And for a bit of local history. this is one of the Deere plots. Surrounded by hedges and a good place to keep R and E corralled. I did, however, see a police car driving by on our way out. Apparently not everyone finds this setting a perfect one to spend the day with their children.

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris Livovich said...

We need this poem right now, as Elia begins to navigate friends and not friends and all the drama that comes with it. Oh to help her become this poem would be great (and myself, too!)

Ruthie said...

"Let your life come amongst them like a flame of light...Come and take your seat in the bosom of the limitless, my child"

Beautiful, profound.