Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oh May I Join the Choir Invisible

Tucked away in that territory of chaos, otherwise known as my mind, was the plan to pay homage to this day, All Soul's Day, by neatly arranging pictures of departed family members and friends around the icon table in our dining room and remembering their lives with my children. Maybe next year.
Instead, we made cookies. But not just any cookie, Fave dei Morti, "Beans of the Dead," an Italian "soul" cookie traditional to this day. Easy and delicious. Some were even meant to look like bones and Thomas did attempt a skull. I think we have discovered yet another tradition to add to our repertoire.

"Oh May I Join the Choir Invisible"
George Eliot
(Mary Anne Evans)

Oh, may I join the choir invisible
Of those immortal dead who live again
In minds made better by their presence: live
In pulses stirred to generosity,
In deeds of daring rectitude, in scorn
For miserable aims that end with self,
In thoughts sublime that pierce the night like stars,
And with their mild persistence urge men's search
To vaster issues. So to live is heaven:
To make undying music in the world,
Breathing a beauteous order that controls
With growing sway the growing life of man.
So we inherit that sweet purity
For which we struggled, failed, and agonized
With widening retrospect that bred despair.
Rebellious flesh that would not be subdued,
A vicious parent shaming still its child,
Poor anxious penitence, is quick dissolved;
Its discords, quenched by meeting harmonies,
Die in the large and charitable air,
And all our rarer, better, truer self
That sobbed religiously in yearning song, 
That watched to ease the burden of the world,
Laboriously tracing what must be,
And what may yet be better, --saw within
A worthier image for the sanctuary,
And shaped it forth before the multitude,
Divinely human, raising worship so
To higher reverence more mixed with love, --
That better self shall live till human Time
Shall fold its eyelids, and the human sky
Be gathered like a scroll within the tomb
Unread forever. This life to come, --
Which martyred men have made more glorious
For us who strive to follow. May I reach
That purest heaven, --be to other souls
The cup of strength in some great agony,
Enkindle generous ardor, feed pure love,
Beget the smiles that have no cruelty,
Be the sweet presence of a good diffused,
And in diffusion ever more intense!
So shall I join the choir invisible
Whose music is the gladness of the world.


And alas, this is what baking often looks like in our house. Yes, the wonder twins were quite enamored with flour. And if you look closely, you will notice that Russell (again) has his pants on backwards. 




And finally because I am shameless. 
We want to share with you my recent interview with SixSeeds.tv as part of National Adoption Month. If you have a moment, please read the article and leave a comment. For every comment, $2 will be donated to the James 1:27 Foundation, a non-profit group located in Melbourne, Iowa, who gave our family a grant of $2500 for Lucia's adoption. 

You can read the the article and post a comment here: Adoptive Family--Johnson

And please help spread the word. If you are willing, tweet it, facebook, or blog it to your friends.

The first two paragraphs of the interview are taken from a blog post that you can read in its entirety here.

And to those of you who have already commented and helped spread the word, thank you. Truly.


6 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

Those photos made me laugh. out. loud. I showed them to Bobby and my parents, and then they laughed hard too. Of course I love that you made traditional cookies for "All Soul's" day. So inspiring you are to me! I also really loved your poem choice this week!

elizabeth said...

So cute - yes, flour on a table is quite fun...

I commented as requested (I hope it worked) etc...

May your family always be health and well.

Michelle said...

Love the pictures Beth! They made me laugh too.

And I'm continually amazed at the wonderful things you do with your children. On Sunday I made brownies to take to the neighbors for Halloween, and Anna asked to help me.

I said no. She asked why. I said because I was a little grumpy and didn't want to take it out on her.

Working in the kitchen tends to make me a little grumpy - even when it's for a good reason.

There you have it - authentic me, amazed at you. :)

Hugs,
Michelle

Jared said...

If it makes you feel better, Michelle, Beth's cooking in the kitchen makes me a little grumpy... ;)

Kris Livovich said...

Cookies you can eat! A revelation. We decorated sugar skulls and all the kids were disappointed that I would not allow them to be eaten. They are pure sugar, and we just came off Halloween, like we need to eat pure sugar! A bread you might like is "Pan de Muerto" (Bread of the Dead) we make it every year and it is super yummy.

What a wonderful idea, bringing out pictures of departed loved ones. I will have to remember for next year.
Love the traditions you are starting with your kiddos.e

Juliana Dancer said...

I've made Pan de muerto (it's traditional from Mexico) and it's not super difficult...I have a recipe I hand out to my Spanish students if you're interested :) Otherwise, I distinctly remember baking with my mom around the holidays as a child...and yes, I think flour was permanently stuck in the cracks of our kitchen table...haha