Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Days Of Our Lives

A more keen individual would have undoubtedly perceived the enigmatic nature of the cup's contents. But I was a woman with four children strapped in their car seats patiently waiting for me to board our van and drive them to buy sprinkled doughnuts for Thomas' namesday. My primary concern was taking full advantage of the 15 seconds I was allotted by my children's captivity–15 seconds in which I could savor one drink of  coffee, swishing the hot, creamy fluid in my mouth in order to maximize its full benefits on my frazzled soul and body. Examining the coffee before I consumed it was completely outside my radar. Silly me. The minute the treasured drink hit my lips two synapses fired in my brain simultaneously: one telling me of the taste of dish soap on my tongue and the other recalling Elliot pouring this villainous cleaner into an empty wine glass. Apparently he had found my coffee, too.

I relate this story because I believe it is reflective of my present life. That something I took for granted for so many years, casually sitting and drinking a warm cup of brew without interruption has become a pipe dream. And that there is rarely a day that passes that something - salt, cinnamon, soda, coffee, and sometimes other more unmentionable liquids -  is not purposefully spilled onto the floor or countertop.  So are the days of our lives, but my goodness, despite all the craziness everything is alright and really pretty darn good.


Russell engaging in one of his favorite activities: water play. Notice that his underwear is on backwards. Russell's new favorite phrase is, "What that is?'


It is a a rare to find Thomas not offering his camera smile, which is really not nearly as cute as what comes naturally. Thomas is engaged in separating his laundry, and is doing it with much bravado. 


Guess who figured out how to use the sprayer?


Russell and Lucia. Everyone is just crazy about this girl.


And believe me, our daughter has lots of sass. I think this might be an attempt to imitate Elliot's "Pirate."


Russell asking, "Potty here?" My answer: "No!"


So I won't bore you with any lengthy discussion of what our school day consists of but last week was "Seasonal Craft Week." Trust me when I say that you cannot buy conkers at Hobby Lobby because I asked. Low and behold, a conker is a chestnut. Who knew? Found this lovely at the park. Jared drilled holes into it and then we put toothpicks in and weaved a spider web. Thomas kept saying, "This is so cool!"


We also made gnomes out of pines cones and beeswax. Thomas and my mother sewed the hats from the fabric of an old dress of my mom's. Lucia gets giddy over the gnomes. Really.


A wreath made out of the flowers we picked last week at Shady Knoll. This is the camera smile I was talking about.


And Thomas' namesday cake. He was a big helper and even grated the orange and lemon rinds.


 Thomas celebrated his namesday on October 6th. This icon was written by our dear friend Tonya Maddex, aka "Grammie" and given to him on his baptismal day. May God grant you many years, little one!

4 comments:

Cami said...

I loved reading this...and seeing the pictures. I can totally relate. It's crazy, but all good!

Farm-Raised said...

I love this post for so many reasons....

first the backwards underpants and the dishsoap coffee...

and then the beautiful flower wreath and the lovely cake!!

Looks like you're doing well. A nice balance, in fact. Miss you!

xoxo

Gretchen said...

Love this post! Especially the backwards underwear!

Molly Sabourin said...

Aww, Beth, thanks for this! This post made my aftertnoon! The crafts are super cool! Priscilla would eat that part of your curriculum right up. And I am for sure impressed with that lovely wreath you designed. The kids are precious as always, and now there is a small ache in my heart because I miss you all so. : (

Please keep putting up photos of what you're up to these days! They make me happy.