Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Joyful Mother

To my children on the fifth anniversary of my first child's homecoming:

When you are unable to conceive a child, each month is enveloped with death. Except there is no period of mourning set aside for you, no warm embraces or attempts of comforting words rendered to you. No one offers you flowers, cooks you a meal, or sends you a card to console you. There is no gravestone to substantiate the tangibleness of your hurt, for there is nothing to bury but your hope. It is doubtful that most will notice the numbness behind your eyes. There will only be a precious few who validate your loss. Mostly, like all those in pain, you suffer in silence; your grief bound up deep within.

For nearly five years, my husband and I traveled down the dark road of infertility. Did I expertly learn to contort my face to reveal an expression of happiness each time a friend, a family member, or an acquaintance announced that a new life was being created within them when I wanted to weep for my own barrenness? Did I break down in the middle of a department store when I inadvertently wandered into the maternity section? Did I politely smile and mumble my gratitude when good intentioned people absurdly diagnosed the cause of my brokenness and then proceeded to cruelly prescribe medicine in the form of advice? Did I cry in the confessional over my heartbreak and my spiritual father's wise urgings to truly experience joy in another's pregnancy? Did I feel betrayed by God and my own body? Did I lament like a woman scorned and lash out in fury? Did I allow my body to be cut open, to be poked and prodded? Did I offer my my veins every month to be pried open and my life blood drained out as I stared at a florescent light glutted with dead bugs, silently praying for mercy? Absolutely.

But in the midst of this anguish, did not joy also exist? Did I not have the honor and privilege of touching Christ each day in the bodies of beautiful individuals whom society also labeled as broken, impaired, handicapped? Did I not experience unadulterated happiness with Kristopher, Salman, Julissa, Leslie and the countless other students who could not talk or take care of themselves but who could communicate love? Did I have the opportunity to embrace suffering friends and co-workers who likewise could not conceive and look them in the eye and sincerely say, "I know your anger, your pain, your heartache and I mourn with you?" Did my greatest joy, my children whose very existence is the breath of the divine upon my ordinary life, rise out of my pain? Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. To you my children, Thomas Jung-hyun, Russell Matthew Jin-pyo, Elliot Andrew Jin-seo, and Lucia Ethiopia Kebedech, know that although you were not born from my body or nursed at my breasts, I am your mother, and I would choose the pain every single time to have you in my life. You are my heart. There is no me without you.

The Prophet
"On Joy and Sorrow"
Kahlil Gibran

Then a woman said, Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow.
And he answered:
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your
laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your 
being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very
cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your
spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into
your heart and you shall find it is only that
which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in
your heart, and you shall see that in truth
you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Some of you say, "Joy is greater than
sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits
alone with you at your board, remember
that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales 
between your sorrow and your joy.
Only when you are empty are you
standstill and balanced.
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to
weigh his gold and his silver, needs must
your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

Click here for more poetry.


13 comments:

hotflawedmama said...

Oh Beth, what an amazing post. This is such a beautiful tribute to your kids who will read this and grow up to know you love them so passionately. Love to you so very, very much.

Joshua said...

Your awesome..and now I am crying.

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh Beth, dear Beth, I am speechless. I witnessed first-hand throughout those very difficult years your quiet, unacknowledged pain and bravery but to read this beautifully written personal account makes me realize how unaware I was, being even that close to you, of the depth and intensity of your private struggle. Yes, save this for your kids, Beth!! I agree, it is a very powerful tribute to the children (every one of them) you've loved with all your heart and soul. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

What a true poem; almost like something straight out of the Fathers! Thank you for beautiful writing before that too. Christ is risen!

M.

Michelle said...

I'm truly at a loss for words Beth. You are the definition of courage - first to experience such pain, second to write about it honestly, and third to share it publicly.

Today, you are my hero!

Hugs,
~Michelle

paige said...

Oh my goodness, Beth. That may be one of the most beautiful things I've read. I hate to think of the hurt you experienced during those difficult years. And how even now - with the fullness of your household - the grief may surface. I hate even more, the lack of support I offered. I love you so much and I hate to think that I may have minimized your pain. I'm so sorry.

Thank you though for that beautiful poem - it is the truest truth to me - that our sorrows are our joys. So even now - as I wait for this upcoming ultrasound - half expecting to hear bad news - I am comforted by that reminder.

Thank you for your love for your children - you're an amazing mother. I look so forward to meeting little Lucia. Give Jared my love as well.

Your friend - Paige

natasha said...

that was so beautiful. thank you for sharing your heart so honestly.

Jenny said...

Beth,

What a beautiful, heartbreaking, healing, hopeful post. What an honor it is to know you and to witness the way this pain has birthed you into your life as a mother. I love, love, love the drawing of your family, and the poem is beautiful, capturing how closely sorrow and joy are woven together. I loved your line, too, about how parenting rose up out of all this anguish...just beautiful!

elizabeth said...

Wow. Thanks. I just am 'meeting' you via Molly's blog.

Christ is Risen!

I really appreciate your ability to be honest about this grief. Your honesty will help others who are, were or will deal with this same pain.

Grandpa Mike said...

Beth: How beautiful and honest!
Grandpa Mike

Beth said...

Thank you all for your terribly kind words. I feel a bit embarrassed and unworthy of such graciousness. Each of us have difficulties and hardships. Some are chosen and others thrust upon us. With God's help, may we always choose to reject bitterness and resentment that will only lead to death and embrace love and gratitude which will lead to life. And may our crosses truly enable us to console, understand, and love our hurting brothers and sisters around us. I have a long way to go in this journey towards self-denial, so please pray for me.

Michelle M. said...

I am coming to you via Molly's blog. I have several friends and family members who are struggling with infertility. Thank you for sharing this so that I am better able to understand what they are going through.

Ingrid said...

What a wonderful post yet hard at the same time. I watched a few friends go downt that path and it is so hard to know what to say and how to help. But now I look at those beautiful adopted children and see joy. God is in charge and He is made perfect in our weakness. Love you! So excited about this new little girl coming home soon to you!

P.S. Our trip to St. Louis got cancelled so I won't be in the QC until summer.