Monday, November 14, 2011

I don't mean to bug you

As some of you may know, my friend, Ms. Cheryl, is the housemother at the St. Joseph Worker House, a home for women and children with no place to go. While the home is owned and managed by the sisters of St. Mary's monastery, Ms. Cheryl and her daughter Shakira live in and manage the house on a daily basis. On Saturday Ms. Cheryl approached me to see if our family or if anyone I knew might be interested in sponsoring the house for Christmas and thus providing the women and children with presents on Christmas day. While I have family and friends who have already pledged $100, this amount is only enough to provide a meager gift for those living at St. Joseph's. If you are interested in helping out in anyway with any amount (no amount is too small), please let me know asap. I do not want to commit to Ms. Cheryl unless I have a bare minimum of $300 pledged. Presently I believe there are ten women and children in the house (Ms. Cheryl shared with me that a new family of a mother and four children, which includes an 8 month year old had just moved in; they had been living in their car on Credit Island).  Please forgive me for this; I often feel like I ask too much but Jesus and the church fathers and mothers have much to say about our responsibility to those in need as exemplified in the Gospel reading of the Good Samaritan this Sunday. And please do not feel obligated to do this. I know times are difficult and there are many others to give to as well. Please let me know by email (thehost55@hotmail.com) if this is something you can do and how much you are willing and able to give. Peace and goodness to you. And as Russell reminded us this morning, "Christ is in our midst."

If you are interested in reading an older posts about St. Joseph's, you can find it here.

No comments: