Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What I Learned from My Mother

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; 
but in deed and in truth.
I John 3:18


For my parents, who preach the gospel not by preaching words
but rather by their example.


What I Learned from My Mother
Julia Kasdorf

I learned from my mother how to love
the living, to have plenty of vases on hand
in case you have to rush to the hospital
with peonies cut from the lawn, black ants
still stuck to the buds. I learned to save jars
large enough to hold fruit salad for a whole 
grieving household, to cube home-canned pears
and peaches, to slice through maroon grape skins
 and flick out the sexual seeds with a knife point.
I learned to attend viewing even if I didn't know 
the deceased, to press the moist hands
of the living, to look into their eyes and offer
sympathy, as though I understood loss even then.
I learned that whatever we say means nothing,
what anyone will remember is that we came.
I learned to believe I had the power to ease 
awful pains materially like an angel.
Like a doctor, I learned to create
from another's suffering my own usefulness, and once
you know how to do this, you can never refuse.
To every house you enter, you must offer
healing: a chocolate cake you baked yourself,
the blessing of your voice, your chaste touch.


Thank you Leslie for introducing me to this poem.

3 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

This poem! Beautiful. Every time my Mom visits I reflect on how much I have learned from her and how much I continue to learn. What a blessing a good mother is.

Michelle said...

Perfect poem for today! My mom and dad are finally home after three weeks traveling in France. I have a hard time believing how much I missed them.

I told someone while they were gone that I had always considered myself an administrator. About six years into our marriage, my husband pointed out I am not an administrator.

"You're right!" I told him. "I was raised by an administrator, so she taught me many skills, but I am not naturally an administrator!"

My parents have taught me so much.
They are certainly a blessing - not only to me and my family, but to many, many other people as well.

Hugs,
~Michelle

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh I too love, love that poem. What a great one! And I love the photo of your parents. Of course, I've learned a lot from my parents as well - so much good, important stuff. While reading the lines of this poem, however, it was you, Beth, who came to mind. It is you who has taught me most about dropping everything to care for others. Every bit of this poem made thankful for your example.