Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The severe gift

Perhaps it is because I stood peering last Friday afternoon from an outside window into the darkened front room of the food pantry in which he volunteered for nearly the last twenty-five years of his life and was unexpectedly a bit overcome by a flash of memory which transported me back to a time when he was not sick, was not dead, but well and alive, standing by my side helping me arrange canned foods onto meticulously ordered shelves; perhaps it is because my black Doc Marten shoes purchased for $2.99 at the Salvation Army located on Central and Diversey are almost an embarrassment to wear (but really I have no shame) because they are in desperate need of polishing and that was yet another act of selfless giving that he did for me; or perhaps is is because this evening my mother pulled out of her back seat four of his jackets which are now deposited onto the backs of my dining room chairs and in my solitary state while children slept and a husband read, I buried my nose deep within the folds of blue nylon and though rationalizing that my mother surely laundered the coat prior to its journey into my home, I swore, I swear, that I can smell his scent six months later, but my heart feels so raw these last few days, my eyes so filled with tears.

-an excerpt from "Rising"
Wendell Berry, The Wheel

5.
Any man's death could end the story:
his mourners, having accompanied him
to the grave through all he knew,
turn back, leaving him complete.

But this is not the story of a life.
It is the story of lives, knit together,
overlapping in succession, rising
again from grave after grave.

For those who depart from it, bearing it
in their minds, the grave is a beginning.
It has weighted the earth with sudden
new gravity, the enrichment of pain.
There is a grave, too, in each 
survivor. By it, the dead one lives.
He enters us, a broken blade,
sharp, clear as a lens or a mirror.

And he comes into us helpless, tender
as the newborn enter the world. Great
is the burden of our care. We must be true
to ourselves. How else will he know us?

Like a wound, grief receives him.
Like graves, we heal over, and yet keep
as part of ourselves the severe gift.
By grief, more inward than darkness,

the dead become the intelligence of life.
Where the tree falls the forest rises.
There is nowhere to stand but in absence,
no life but in the fateful light.

6.
Ended, a story is history;
it is in time, with time
lost. But if a man's life
continue in another man,
then the flesh will rhyme
its part in immortal song.
By absence, he comes again,

There is a kinship of the fields
that gives to the living the breath
of the dead. The earth
opened in the spring, opens
in all springs. Nameless,
ancient, many-lived, we reach
through ages with the seed.

6 comments:

Joshua said...

Prayed for you this morning Beth! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Kris Livovich said...

Oh, Beth, this brings tears to my eyes. I had a ratty old flannel shirt that belonged to my Dad and I kept that thing until long after it ceased to smell like him. It was a tearful day when I admitted that I couldn't sniff out his scent on that shirt anymore.

I'm so glad you have good memories, they stay much longer.

Much love,
kris

Farm-Raised said...

Hugs. It must be so hard.

Michelle said...

Hugs to you Beth.
~Michelle

hotflawedmama said...

love you. I'm sure it's so, so hard.

Molly Sabourin said...

It is remarkable to me how your post and Kris' are entwined this week in love and loss. They have brought me to tears. I love you both.