Monday, October 3, 2011

To be simple

"Blessed are they who have nothing to lock up." 
-Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment


This woman and the Catholic Worker movement she helped found with Peter Maurin continues to challenge me in what it means to flesh out the Gospel on a daily basis. I have a sneaking suspicion that the call to pick up your cross and follow Christ may be amazingly and terribly radical, like "if you want to save your life, you must lose it." Please pray for me.

I am near giddy to have the opportunity to go and listen to Shane Claiborne, founder of a Christian community, The Simple Way, located in Philadelphia, this Thursday at Augustana College. If you would like to join me, let me know. I would love to have you come. Peace and goodness.

PS Tomorrow is the day St. Francis of Assisi is commemorated. Please don't forget this radical Christian!  

4 comments:

Julie said...

Beth, I love you and your heart. And I also have quite the fondness for Shane Claiborne and his writings! Wish I could come, wish we could struggle through this together over Ethiopian coffee.....and this makes me think of one of my favorite songs, "Simple gifts." Have a blessed, simple day.

Farm-Raised said...

Beth--I'll be there! I, too, am so excited!!! Let's try to get together afterwards and discuss!! Maybe this weekend? I'll check with Cassidy; maybe we can do some porch sitting while it's still nice!

Beth said...

Thank you Julie for picking up on the reference to "Simple Gifts." It too is one of my favorites. It warms my heart to hear my little ones singing it. Someday coffee. Love to you.

Molly Sabourin said...

I can't wait to hear about it, Beth!! I so wish I could go with you!