Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Canticle of the Sun

While I could offer you a multitude of reasons why I am now just posting a poem for Poetry Wednesday, I won't bore you. (Though I must add, I am still in my pajamas and it is nearly 5:00 pm; I am pretending my black frock with gray t-shirt underneath is a dress.) And since homeschooling has awarded me the opportunity to completely indoctrinate my son in the thoughts of people and saints I adore and revere, I offer up an interpretation from St. Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Sun, which is often heard throughout our home and which Thomas must endure every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as he wiggles and hops in front of our icon corner (which I must add is extra festive with the addition of various vibrantly colored fruits reflective of the season on our icon table) before we launch into our daily work. Not quite the pledge of allegiance; I suppose we will eventually get there too. Enjoy.


From The Canticle of the Sun
St. Francis of Assisi
translated by Lawrence Edwards

Praised be God for brother Sun,
Who shines with splendid glow,
He brings the golden day to us
Thy glory does he show!

Praised be God for sister Moon
And every twinkling star;
They shine in heaven most bright and clear
All glorious they are.

Praised be God for brother Wind
That storms across the skies;
And then grows still, and silent moves
And sweetly sings and sighs.

Praised be God for Water pure
Her usefulness we tell.
So humble, precious, clean and good,
She works for us so well.

Praised be God for brother Fire
Friendly, and wild, and tame;
Tender and warm, mighty and strong
A flashing, flaring flame.

Praised be God for mother Earth
Who keeps us safe and well;
Whose mother heart, all warm with love,
Dark in her depths doth dwell.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I really like that poem Beth - short stanzas and easy to understand. (OK, that comment shows my lack of poetry-intelligence... oops!)

Anyway - good for you for admitting you're still in your pj's - some days are like that.

Funny that we both posted about homeschooling today - I think I enjoy each year more than the last. Someone asked me if I planned on homeschooling high school and I said, "Well, that remains to be seen, but one reason why I chose the curriculum I chose is because I was excited about the high school curriculum."

She just stared at me, her eyes glazed over a bit.

~Michelle

Kris Livovich said...

Wouldn't you know, we grew up singing the Prayer of Saint Francis. Although it is much more beautiful in Spanish... Thank you for this. If we ever have another child Francis will be in their name somewhere - he has been a special friend.

Molly Sabourin said...

Yes, I like the short stanzas too, Michelle - especially for kids. This is such a lovely, lovely poem to teach a child. I'm so proud of you, Beth, for just going for it with homeschooling. I think you and Thomas both will get much out of this experience.

I drove my kids to school this morning in my complete pajamas.