Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Today and Yesterday

"Today and Yesterday"

from A Tear And A Smile
by Kahlil Gibran

     The rich man walked in the garden of his palace, and in his footsteps followed care and above his head hovered disquiet like vultures that circle over a dead body. He came to a lake that men had wrought with art and cunning, and around it were images in alabaster. Then he sat him down and looked, now at the water pouring forth from the mouths of the stone figures as the pouring out of thoughts from the imagination of a lover; now at his fine palace, sitting on high ground like a mole on the cheek of a maiden.
     There he sat, and remembrance sat beside him unfolding before his eyes pages that the past had written in the story of his life. And he fell to reading, the while tears concealed from his sight that which men had builded about him, and grief brought back to his heart the strands of days that the gods had woven, and his anguish overflowed in words and he said:
     'Yesterday I pastured my sheep on the green heights and rejoiced in life and played on my pipe to tell of my rejoicing. Today I am the captive of greed, and riches are leading me to riches,and more riches to miserliness, and miserliness to despair. I was a bird trilling its song and a butterfly fluttering hither and thither. No gentle breeze was lighter in step on the flower-tops than my footsteps upon those fields.
     'Behold me now a prisoner of people's customs. See how I dissimulate in my my dress and at my board and in all that I do for the sake of people's favor and approbation. Would that I were born to rejoice in existence! Riches have decreed me tread the paths of sorrow, and I am like to a camel heavy-laden with gold and dying beneath its burden.
     'Where are the vast plains and the murmuring brooks? Where the washed air and nature's glory? Where is my Godlikeness? All these things are lost to me, and naught remains save the gold I love ever mocking me, an abundance of slaves, and diminished joy; and a mansion I raised to bring down my happy state.


     'Yesterday was I granted life and nature's beauty; today I am plundered of them: yesterday was I rich in my joy; today I am become poor in my riches. Yesterday I was with my flock as a merciful ruler among his subjects; today I stand before gold as a cringing slave before a tyrannous master.
     'I knew not that riches would efface the very essence of my spirit, nor did I know that wealth would lead it to the dark caves of ignorance. And I reckoned not that what people call glory is naught except torment and the pit.'
     And the man of riches rose from his place and walked slowly toward his palace, sighing the while and saying again and again: 'Are these, then, riches? Is this, then, the god whose priest I am become? Is this the thing we barter for life, yet cannot exchange it for a single grain of life? Who will sell me one beautiful thought for a measure of gold? Who will take from me a handful of gems for a particle of love? Who will give me an eye through which to behold beauty and take in its stead my treasury?'          
     And when he came to the gate of his palace he turned and looked toward the city as did Jeremiah to Jerusalem. He raised his hands toward it as though in lamentation and cried out in a loud voice: 'O people who walk in darkness and sit in the shadow of death; who pursue woe and judge falsely and speak in ignorance! Till when will you eat of thistles and thorns and cast fruits and herbs into the abyss? Till when will you dwell in wild and desolate places and turn aside from the garden of life? Wherefore do you clothe yourselves in rags and tatters when garments of silk are fashioned for you?
     'O people, the lamp of wisdom is extinguished; therefore replenish it with oil. And the wayfarer destroys the vineyard of good fortune; therefore watch over it. The robber plunders the coffers of your peace; therefore take heed.'
     In that minute a poor man stood before the rich man and stretched forth his hand for alms. The rich man looked on him, and his trembling lips became firm and his sad countenance expanded and from his eyes shone the light of kindliness. The yesterday he had lamented on the shore of the lake was come today to greet him. He drew near to the beggar and kissed him with a kiss of love and brotherliness and filled his hands with gold. Then he said with compassion in his words: 'Take now, my brother, and return on the morrow with your companions and take you all of what is yours.' And the poor man smiled the smile of a withered flower after the rain and departed hastily.
     Then the man of riches entered into his palace, saying: 'All things in life are good, even riches, for they teach man a lesson. Riches are as a musical instrument that gives off only discord to him who cannot play on it. Wealth is as love in that it destroys him who withholds it but grants life to him who gives freely of it.'

Not too sure this constitutes poetry but this is my offering for "Poetry Wednesday."

6 comments:

Meg said...

CONGRATS ON YOUR REFERRAL!!!!!!!!

Kris Livovich said...

It fits perfectly with Poetry Wed. Beautiful.

Thank you for your comment on my park post. I felt so alone and judged at the park yesterday. With it being Spring Break the place was packed with kids and caregivers. We ate our McDonald's on the dirty picnic table while the lady next to us whipped out her disposable placemats and organic juice boxes and carrot sticks.... Gave me a taste of my own medicine I suppose....It's always kind of painful to be reminded of how quickly we judge others.

Molly Sabourin said...

That last line,

"Wealth is as love in that it destroys him who withholds it but grants life to him who gives freely of it.'

really convicted me today. I am so grateful to you for introducing me to Kahlil Gibran!

I'm still beside myself about your referral!!

Beth said...

Thanks all for bearing with the long post but I think that last paragraph is worth the entire read. Love that line too dear Molly.

Jenny said...

Beth,

I am so delighted to hear your news! Every blessing on your family as you grow into this next season. Post a photo of Lucia just as soon as you can!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on your referral! Love the name Lucia - I know two right now... both called Lucy (which I think is too bad, cause Lucia is a beautiful name)

And Jared - when you comment, you should sign your name, cause otherwise I tend to think you are Beth and wonder at your use of pronouns. :)
~Michelle