Thursday, March 25, 2010

Annunciation

We are all conceived as orphans. It is only when a parent says, “Yes, I will raise this child,” that each of us are adopted. Most of us are adopted by our biological parents; others find homes with aunts and uncles and grandparents and neighbors and sometimes even with strangers from half a world away; some find parents much later in life; too many never find homes at all.

Today, nine months before we will celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, we commemorate this moment of adoption. For on the Feast of Annunciation we remember the moment when Mary agreed to bearing and raising her unexpected child. Her response to the announcement was, “Let it be unto me as you have said” and in that moment the maiden's womb became more spacious than the heavens for it contained the uncontainable; in that moment the creator of the universe became a child of humanity.

So, how appropriate is it that just two days ago the Johnson family had its own little “annunciation?” Instead of the Archangel Gabriel, it was our social worker Lisa (an angel in her own right) who called me at work. And when she asked if Beth and I were ready to receive a referral, my much less eloquent answer was, “Yes. Yes. Absolutely. Yes.”

Our daughter is a beautiful, healthy baby girl who was born just six months ago in Ethiopia. Her birth name and photos must remain private until the adoption is completed, however we have given her the name Lucia and will use that name here. We expect Lucia to be home with us before her first birthday. (Did I mention that my little princess is beautiful?) The five of us couldn’t be more happy about this addition to our family. And personally, I feel like my heart could contain the heavens.

7 comments:

hotflawedmama said...

Great post. I'm so excited about little Lucia (what a beautiful name!). She is beautiful beyond words. What a gift to your whole family. Can't wait to get my hands on her. :) Love and hugs...

Meg said...

CONGRATS!!!! woohoo!

Amber said...

Lovely... congrats. I hope you receive a speedy court date and have your baby girl in your arms very soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that IS so special! I will now always connect the Feast of Annunciation with the announcement of Lucia becoming a member of your family. I need to call you tomorrow for more details!

Beautiful post!

Kris Livovich said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for your family. What a lovely name for your new sweet girl.

Cami said...

Congratulations to you! Wonderful news....

Kristen said...

That is fantastic news!! What a lucky little girl that she gets to join your wonderful loving family! We are so happy for you!