Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Great Hunt

Picture from the St. Donatus Catholic Church cemetary
St. Donatus, Iowa


The Great Hunt
Carl Sandburg

I cannot tell you now;
     When the wind's drive and whirl
Blow me along no longer,
And the wind's a whisper at last-
Maybe I'll tell you then-
some other time.

When the rose's flash to the sunset
Reels to the rack and the twist,
And the rose is a red bygone,
When the face I love is going
And the gate to the end shall clang,
And it's no use to beckon or say, "So long"-
Maybe I'll tell you then-
some other time.

I never knew any more beautiful than you:
I have hunted you under my thoughts,
I have broken down under the wind
And into the roses looking for you.
I shall never find any
greater than you.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

beautiful Beth - both the picture and the poem.

hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Beth, and haunting! I'm truly trying (and this poem you shared is so perfect) to say now what I'm always tempted to "save for later." And with that, I love you, friend. You are graceful and loyal and generous and funny. You are a gift to me.

Beth said...

Thanks Molly. That makes me teary.

Julia said...

Wow, that poem knocks my socks off. I love Carl Sandburg but I'm not familiar with this one. Thanks.

Kris Livovich said...

Oh, that last line. If the husband doesn't know this poem, he soon will.