Monday, April 26, 2010

A Moment of Your Time

Last week as I plunged my fork into a deeply rich delicious piece of carrot cake at my monthly book club meeting, my friend Emily announced what I guess we all knew was inevitable: Her husband, a member of the Iowa National Guard, had received his official deployment orders. Within months, he would be leaving his wife, his two-year-old son, family, friends, and his country to serve once again in Afghanistan. Today my dear friend Molly through this post drew her readers' attention to this podcast. As I engaged in the mundane activities of a Monday afternoon, dusting the furniture, sweeping the dirt off the floors, thinking about dinner, I listened and wept at Fr. David Alexander's most recent account from the war front. If you have a moment or even if you don't, I encourage you to listen to this podcast. It is humbling. And please remember my friend Emily and her precious family during this time. Thank you.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Lord have mercy on him and his family... this is not easy...

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh my, I can't imagine. I will certainly pray for Emily. Yes, Lord have mercy on her family!