Thursday, April 8, 2010

Exhausted With Joy


When the Wonder Twins were still sleeping at 10:30 am Tuesday morning, I made the decision to awaken them despite the fact that I have been reminded a million times to "never wake a sleeping baby."  And still, after my gentle prodding, Russell lay listlessly in his crib while Elliot burrowed down deep into the crevice of my arm as we silently rocked. By 11:30, all three of the boys were lying dormant on the kitchen floor cushioned by blankets as I cooked some blessed "flesh meat"/bacon and prepared their breakfast/lunch. Ah yes, Holy Week had been intense; the Paschal Feast had been a joyful one and none of the children had slept nor really manifested any signs of tiredness until they completely collapsed in their car seats at 4:30 am. To steal from Fr. Stephen Freeman we were (and are) exhausted with joy. 

This is the day of Resurrection!
Let us be illumined by the Feast!
Let us embrace each other!
Let us call brothers even those that hate us,
And forgive all by the Resurrection.
And so let us cry: 
Christ is risen from the dead
Trampling down death by death
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life! 


There were a couple firsts this year. After ten years of dyeing eggs, I finally, with the help of some non-toxic dye, was able to produce the perfect, red egg. These are for you Molly, my comrade in dyeing for countless years. Aren't they beautiful?


This was also my first year in making the traditional Russian Easter bread. After about four plus hours of prep time, the dough is finally baked in a coffee can. Russell, because he was the only one awake, had the privilege of helping put on the sprinkles. He was very proud and stole a few tastes of frosting. 


Oh sweet Thomas. Wanting to be just like his dad. Polishing his shoes for Pascha night.


The traditional Pascha hat and a glimpse of our Pascha basket. As a side note, there were six peanut butter eggs in that basket prior to the service and one by the time I went to bed at six in the morning. Totally disgusting I know, but who can resist?








Russell and Elliot were thrilled to be going with us. Over and over they stated, "Me. Pascha. Yay!"


Elliot wearing his favorite plaid jacket.
I would also be remiss if I did not add that Friday night as we were participating in the Lamentations, Elliot kept saying, "Jesus died. Clouds crying." (It was raining.) On Pascha evening when we experienced some thunderstorms, the boys and I decided that the clouds were clapping because they were now happy: Christ is Risen!


Perhaps my favorite moment of the evening: Thomas singing with the choir. He literally dashed from an adjacent room where he was laying down with some of his friends when he heard "The Angel Cried," and continued to sing beyond that. One proud momma here.
Also, there are two rows of icons depicting the Church's African saints, including St. Moses the Ethiopian, displayed on this wall. Love that.


Thomas with his best church friends Anna and Josiah


So, so tired.

6 comments:

hotflawedmama said...

Joy indeed!

Great post. Beautiful family. Love to you all...

Molly Sabourin said...

There are so, so many things I love about these photos:

1. the eggs - those gorgeous hard to believe eggs! I am beyond impressed!!

2. The kulich bread so perfectly frosted and sprinkled. Beth, you totally outdid yourself!

3. the diagonal-ish shot of you and Thomas behind the Pascha basket. The composition there is delightful and you, of course, look adorable.

4. I giggled out loud seeing Thomas so seriously shining his shoes.

I love this blog, Johnsons! It means the world to me to be able to keep up with your family. Thank you for posting these memories and pictures!

Kris Livovich said...

Those eggs are too perfect!

And if only I could have anyone in this house sleep to 10:30. It would be so nice. Your pictures are just beautiful

Jenny said...

Oh Beth,

I just love these photos and your commentary. What joy it is to see your beautiful, growing family, and how you are all thriving.

Juliana Dancer said...

I also made my first kulich this year, but I'm pretty sure yours came out much better (mine decided not to raise the third time :( ) Anyway, Christ is Risen! to all, and have a blessed rest of the Paschal season. Hope we get a chance to get together with you soon.

Michelle said...

wonderful pictures Beth! I missed poetry wednesday too - but for good reason. I'll explain all when I am finally able to be online again for more than just a gasp at the end of the day...

blessings,
Michelle