Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The little things in life


"Enjoy the little things in life. 
For someday you will realize they were the big things."
 --Robert Brault 

As the laundry tumbles in the drier and black beans simmer on the stove top for tonight's dinner; as I begin to mentally make a list of things to do and contemplate cleaning the kitchen floor and crafting behavior charts and purchasing stock in companies that manufacture super glue; as little ones slumber and the oldest one listens to "The Wind in the Willows" before we don aprons and bake homemade graham crackers, it is difficult to imagine that just a week ago our family was riding a ferry to Ellis Island, gazing at the magnificence of New York City, pointing out to our children the location where the Twin Towers once stood while inwardly grieving anew for the suffering of this city, and strolling around Liberty Island. How quickly our lives settled back into their daily rhythms.

As I stared out the window into the Illinois fields during the last hours of our trip, I sought to sort through all we had seen and done and felt. There is no doubt that there were moments when our explosive crew managed to mirror Chevy Chase's Vacation movies, when small children mimicked the antics of that great escape artist Harry Houdini, and brought weeping and gnashing of teeth from their parents. That craziness, I hope, will make it into the annals of "Remember whens..." about our vacation and with time will elicit laughs. In the end, I feel immensely blessed. Blessed because of my family. Blessed because of my friends. And how many of you we were able to see on our journey, this pilgrimage. Thank you especially to my mother, who made the trip possible, to my gracious sister and brother-in-law for their many kindnesses and for loving us as we are, as well as to all of you who welcomed us into your homes along the way. To steal from St. Seraphim of Sarov, "Good relationships are heaven anywhere." And that is how I will remember this trip, heaven anywhere.
 
The gravesite of St. Raphael of Brooklyn, the patron saint of our church in Iowa City, at Antiochian Village, Ligonier, Pennsylvania.



Philadelphia, a last minute decision. (Stephanos and Juliana, I promise we will stop next time.) We were not able to visit Independence Hall because tickets were sold out for the day, but we did manage to squeeze in the Liberty Bell, as well as Benjamin Franklin's grave. When questioned who they were viewing while watching a video of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech at the Liberty Bell site, Russell replied, "Grandpa?" then "St. Patrick?" Hmm.



At my sister's home in Bayville, New Jersey: Lots of time in the pool. 


An evening at the Jersey Shore. And yes, we did see Snooki. (Of course, living in the cave as I do, I had no idea who Snooki was.)








Back to Aunt Becky's and Uncle John's for more swimming and crabbing.










Guess who managed to sneak out for a quick trip to the local Goodwill and found a new book for Thomas (and a kitchen rug for herself)?



Happy 19th Birthday to our niece Ali.



Russell modeling one of Ali's birthday presents.


The Johnson family day trip to Staten Island, New York, to visit Catholic Worker co-founder Dorothy Day's grave; to Liberty Park to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island; to visit friends Ian, Shilpa, and Soniya Samuel and eat yummy Indian food.


We belted out a "Holy God" and "Christ is Risen" at her grave. Though Catholic, she was not unfamiliar with the Russian Divine Liturgy and the Orthodox Church so if I were to guess, Ms. Day was smiling.






And of course, more pool time.



Then a final stop in Chesterton, Indiana. Celebrating Elliot's nameday a couple days late with his godparents, Bobby and Paige, and a multitude of other dear friends. Thank you again Paige for the amazing cake.

8 comments:

paige said...

Love this post, Beth. I think it's always hard to come down from a vacation. Today I'm simultaneously registering Isabelle for school and packing for Colorado - in the midst of summer, while preparing for fall, routine and well, a bit of a fresh start. Somehow, in the midst of things, I've become a midwesterner. I'm actually starting to crave the clean fall air. It was great to see you - we look forward to our visit at your house and then in Michigan! Yea! I shouldn't rush fall in just yet - there's still much more summer to have!

hotflawedmama said...

this post makes me miss you somethin' fierce. So happy you had a great vacation. hopefully see you after summer is done and i get my life back. ;) love to you.

Julie said...

I love the photos and traveling along with you through the descriptions. Beautiful children, great smiles -- and that little Lucia, she has grown so much! Your hair too; love it!! I'm so glad you had a great trip and made many memories. Love you.

Carol said...

I agree with Julie - how fun to see the pictures and sort of "travel" with you. What a very special time for a very precious and special family. You all are so amazing and I love you very very much.

Carol

Farm-Raised said...

Beautiful!! I chuckled several times during this post. (A new kitchen rug?! Ha!) It sounds like your vacation was light and happy and remarkably fun!! Great pics! Glad you're back!

elizabeth said...

beautiful pictures!! wow... looks like a really special time!

Juliana Dancer said...

Looks like it was an awesome trip! I've been to some of those places as well, and truly some great sites. Glad you're back safe and sound :)

mammamim said...

Love all the Fab Fotos and all your text @Paige, I can only smilingly imagine your Miswesterner thoughts :) am so pleased to be able vicariously enjoy all this!