Thursday, July 7, 2011

Can't Get Enough of that Lovey Dovey Stuff

Perhaps it was the home movie-style flashbacks of a younger U2 - the U2 of The Joshua Tree, the U2 of Achtung Baby - large on the towering screen that took my breath away, that made the passage of time so pronounced and poignant. I felt like I was watching old friends and was transported back to my fourteen-year-old self clutching her very first rock album, drinking in the lyrics and music of The Joshua Tree like an elixir. How did twenty-five years go by so quickly? Perhaps it was Bono singing "Rejoice" or the impromptu playing of "One Tree Hill" or screaming my voice raw with thousands of others to "Pride (In the Name of Love)," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Walk On," and "One" that elicited the feeling that time had collapsed upon itself and I was living an eternal moment. Perhaps it was because an Amnesty International sign loomed larger than anything posted for Blackberry, the official concert sponsor, that reminded me this is not just your run-of-the-mill rock band. Most of all I think it was the image of a cross with a heart tattooed on it together with the ever faithful message that love has the power to transcend all our goodness and badness and make us what we were meant to be, partakers of the divine. Because in the end, as Bono said, "all we what want is to dance."







2 comments:

Joshua said...

It was so awesome! I was surprised at how many songs I actually knew. I wish we cold do it all over again : But maybe with seats a little closer to the ground...

hotflawedmama said...

what a freaking great post about it too. love you, sweet friend.