Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Friday, I'm in Love

In Thomas' world, the count down for Friday typically begins on Monday. "Friday is getting closer, " he will exclaim. And then starting with his pointer finger he will add up the days until he has figured out when this treasured time will arrive, all the while singing a song learned at music class, "Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday..." "Mom, you cannot imagine, only four more days!" I have yet to determine whether Thomas' longing for Friday, cultivated primarily by our limitation of television watching to that day, is natural for a four-year-old. Nonetheless, it is Friday and despite Jared's and my efforts to convince him that it was actually Sunday and church day (not his favorite day), Thomas called our bluff and he is oh-so-happy. We have already performed the "Friday Family Fun Night" song and dance, but our movie selection for this evening has yet to be decided (hopefully not The Little Mermaid, again; probably an episode of The Clone Wars).

The boys and I have experienced a quiet day at home. Together we marveled at the continuous stream of birds who stuck their heads into the birdhouse outside our kitchen window (Russell and Elliot both like to point and make bird noises), though we were disappointed that none of the Mr. and Mrs. Birds chose to settle down and create a home. While Russell and Elliot "slept" during their morning nap, Thomas and I pulled out three wooden animal puzzles he received a couple Christmas' ago from Grandpa Johnson, and he was finally able to piece them together. (Yes, I think he now recognizes his numbers through ten, as well as the letters of the alphabet.) Of course, our new friends could not be content in merely being pieces of a puzzle. Rather they transformed into bad guys and good guys. (The parrot and alligator were the former and elephants the latter. And in case you were are not privy to this particular piece of knowledge, elephants have very strong trunks which not only can whip the enemy into submission but can also eject poison spray.) And we all, or at least Thomas and I, though a bit sickened by it, found Elliot's insistence on eating hummus by the spoonful at lunchtime highly amusing.

As for me, I am about to partake of my afternoon coffee (ah, sweet bliss), reveling in the fact that all three of the children are sleeping, that it is officially the first day of spring, that opening day for the Chicago Cubs is only sixteen days away, and that my icon of the North American saints arrived today. I might venture upstairs and listen to a little Bob Dylan. And maybe I will even clean the bathroom. Why not?

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Oh no, not the bathroom! I hate cleaning that room, although it does feel nice when it is done.

That reminds me.. I need to go clean the bathroom... Sounds like you guys had an awesome day :)
Amy

daningo said...

good guys and bad guys - I love it!

The Clone Wars is a favorite in our house.

TV - I think the less we get of something the more special it becomes. We really have too much in our lives and I am constantly wanting my kids to appreciate things more.

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh boy, I love that song! I can totally remember being super excited about Fridays as a kid. That was family tv night for us, too, involving C.H.I.P.S and Dukes of Hazzard and a candy bar of a our choice. Fun, fun, fun!

Of course I knew Elephants shot venemous poison from their trunks. My godson is a genius.