Thursday, March 12, 2009

All in the Family

"Mommy, guess what I have behind my back?" From my vantage point on Russell's and Elliot's floor where I sat changing Elliot's diaper, I caught a glimpse of a tiny female Lego figure, but I did not want to disappoint Thomas, who could hardly contain himself,  by being immediately correct in my answer. "A book?" "No." "A Star Wars guy?" "No." "A Lego?" "Yes," Thomas declared. And from their hiding place emerged three Lego figures.

"This is you mommy, Bef. She got all dressed up today and put on lipstick. Do you have a purple zip up jacket?" (For the record, I have more or less worn lipstick every day since the age of thirteen so my son's comment is no means reflective of what I look like on a daily basis. And no, I absolutely do not own or ever hope to own a purple zip up jacket. Apparently, black is not a popular color in the Hispanic Lego community.) Holding up a small Caucasian boy wearing a green baseball cap, Thomas announced, "this is me. T-H-O-M-A-S. And this man (yes, the elderly Lego male who is apparently of South Asian descent), is daddy. I call him Jerry." When questioned where Russell and Elliot were, Thomas related that this was our family when he was three, before the boys came home.  So there you have it folks, from the perspective of my four-year-old son, this is what our family looks like.

1 comment:

Molly Sabourin said...

That is precious!! Ha! Thomas and Jerry should go into business depicting families and groups of friends in Lego form. I am certainly (secretly) hoping that Kara will come through with another mug featuring our own Lego mini-mes. I have the best godson ever.