Saturday, March 15, 2008

War and Cease-Fire

5:30! It felt like sleeping in until noon.

Today we visited the DMZ - the Demilitarized Zone separating South Korea from North Korea. While planning the tour with the hotel staff (at 6:30 this morning), the concierge plainly stated, "The war never ended." That really turned out to be the theme of the day. From an American perspective, the Korean War is a thing of the past, but here it is an ongoing reality. There is a cease-fire agreement, but no peace treaty. The current "Sunshine" policy, started by the former Republic of Korea administration, has opened many roads into North Korea, some literal. However, it is at best a hopeful start towards unification - the average South Korean's ultimate goal.

Pictured above is the Freedom Bell. It is traditional for Koreans to pray at the graves of their ancestors once a year. However, South Koreans of North Korean decent are not able to fulfill this practice. Instead, they come to this place, offer their prayers, and then ring this giant bell so that it can be heard in North Korea. We are pictured to the right with two South Korean soldiers at the newly constructed Dorasan Train Station. This station is a result of South Korea's "Sunshine" policy, and now runs three trains a day into North Korea. It primarily carries South Korean business men and women to and from an industrial complex employing North Korean workers located just across the border. As you can see, Thomas was fascinated by the soldiers.

For the afternoon, we visited Itaewon, which Koreans will tell you is "very international." What that mostly means is that it is the most Americanized area of the city. It is adjacent to a U.S. military base and sports a McDonald's, a Cold Stone Creamery, North Face, Quiznos, Burger King (with Bulgogi Burger), and lots of illegally duplicated DVDs. Thomas had requested fish and chips for dinner, his favorite, and since it is St. Patrick's Day, we felt compelled to oblige. We found a nice pub that offered this dish, and had a good dinner. To the left you can see Thomas with his first Mudslide. (Just kidding, its Chocolate Milk!)

Finally, to keep you all coming back for more, we've decided to include more pictures of the boys in each post. We've grown adicted to hearing from you all, and want to make sure you keep checking in. So here's your baby fix. Thanks for keeping in touch. We love you all.

15 comments:

Aaron said...

The DMZ! Cooooool. So the war never ended? Where is the outrage? March on Washington bring the troops home! Oh. Maybe John McCain was right and no one really cares if we stay a somewhere 100 years so long as no one is being shot at on a regular basis. Almost halfway there in Korea! Oh wait this is not a political blog. But still, you went to the DMZ.... so cool. Great pics of the kids!

Susan said...

Don't worry about us forgetting about you! I check the blog every day and force others in my family to read too! Alex and Madelyn can't wait to see the boys, they loved the pictures. Alex knows their names and asks which one is which. By the way, how are we going to tell them apart when you get home? It's great that you are able to do the sight seeing stuff that you missed the first time you went, such a great history for Thomas, Russell and Elliott to have in photos and your stories!
Keep the pictures and stories comin'.

Reborn? said...

Just a question...I notice that there is a "Christmas" tree??? in the background of the pictures. Just a leftover decoration or maybe not a Christmas tree?

Becky said...

The color coded thing is working out nicely! How did you get the twins to laugh and smile so big in those pics? This one is my favorite, I love the action shots.

Looks like Thomas may be scrapping the star wars guys soon and taking up army men.

Here's a St. Patty's Day joke for you...What's Irish and stays out all night (besides my friend Bridget)? Patty O'Furniture!!!
Just prepping for the big day here, we are going into the city for the parade. The Archbishop invited us personally to sit with him at St. Patrick's Cathedral(not) but we're going anyway!! =)

Have a ball and try to get some sleep. God knows that will end for a while come Monday!

Love,
Aunt Becky
PS I want to take Thomas to see Horton Hears a Who next week.

Leona said...

Hey ya Johnsons . . .Jim here . . . I hi-jacked Leona's logon info so I could post. What a wonderful trip you are having, seeing the sights and adding two wonderful boys to the family. I hope Beth knows this will quaddruple the amount of Star Wars goodies at home. I know that you are thinking that I did my math wrong but I am accounting for the stuff that Jared will get "for the boys" as well.
BTW, Congratulations . . . The group photo is proof that you have officially reached tribe status.

Leona said...

It is really Leona this time...Well, this is just the coolest thing ever. There are many sad family stories in people's lives. Your story here, however, is so uplifting and filled with good people doing extraordinary things. It brought happy tears, so thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date.

Lori said...

Keep the baby pictures coming!! Robert and I read the blog this morning at breakfast, and last night at Compline everybody was talking about it. I think I might be able to tell Russell and Elliot apart!!

hotflawedmama said...

YAY! Love seeing your experiences. Keep them coming. Could your kidS BE any cuter? (Or you guys for that matter?)

Patric & Jennifer Knaak said...

Beth & Jared, I've been enjoying your blog so much every day! Thanks for taking the time to update us all so well. Patric just said to me, "what are you reading over there?" I said, "The Johnson's blog, of course." And, he said, "I'm getting nervous! Are they bringing home a surprise for us, too?!" If only it were that easy, huh? Oh, how excited we are for you guys! It's been fun to re-live it all through you! :)

Doug said...

That last comment suckered me into writing. I've been reading, but really to be bothered with writing too. I must really like you guys. Do they sell reproduction military uniforms in the gift shop or something? I'd look good in that. See you soon.

Becky said...

send more pictures!!

Uncle Johnny

bk said...

I have been reading but not left a comment (mostly because I am a terrible speller and these are public comments!)
However, I wanted you all to know that I have been sharing this with you from afar.
I can picture the places you are seeing and love that you are there (with Thomas, you sainted folk), creating memories that you will share with the boys their whole lives.
I must admit (Jared will love this) it seems you were right. The experience of having him there is incredible. I can tell from the pictures how special it is and I am so happy for you all.
I cannot wait to see your whole, happy, family.

mattania said...

You guys rock!
We have just learned today about your blog - overheard conversation between Lori and Fr. Ignatius after Vespers. Wow, I wish I'd known beforehand so I could check the progress every day!
You are such a cute bunch; we can't wait to see you all here in Iowa City.
Those Seoul pictures give me flashbacks - want to come back there one day...
Maybe you can bring me a little coin or something (subway map, whatever) from your travels:)
Have a safe trip home!
Tania and Matt

Leo said...

What a great experience. you guys are making me more and more jealous with each post! Could you see the nuke plants from there?

Jenny said...

They are adorable, totally adorable. Can't wait to meet them! Beautiful, heartbreaking story about the bell.