Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Flotsam and Jet Lag

We can get the first part out of the way-we are here safe and sound, and we're going to bed soon. Now, for a quick recap of our day.

It started at about 6 AM (which for Jared is 6:18, after two snooze alarms). We had gotten everything packed the preceding night, so all went smoothly. Thomas did not feel like waking up, so he slept all the way down to the car and rode to Chicago in his pajamas. The picture to the left was taken while he and Jared were waiting for Beth to join them in the car. Thomas asked what was "taking Mommy so long," to which Jared responded, "She's probably vacuuming." Thomas said, "I think so." Beth would like to state for the record, she was not vacuuming. She was putting those last two Splenda packets in her coffee.

We arrived at O'Hare with plenty of time, but it took about an hour to get parked and to our terminal. This was actually rather nice because, after security, our wait for the plane was only about 30 minutes. To the right is Thomas with our plane in the background.

The flight went very smoothly. If you were ever curious about what it was like to fly in the "golden age" of airlines (think "Catch Me If You Can"), then you should fly Korean Airlines. Multiple full meals and snacks, steamed towelettes, wine with dinner (it is apparently not lent on Korean Airlines), and flight attendants (stewardesses might be more appropriate) with matching scarves so starched and pointy they looked like they could fly safely to harbor if the plane happened to have trouble. On top of the great service, I would like to thank Kim and Doug for the greatest gift of all - their portable DVD player. To the left you can see how how Thomas spent pretty much the whole trip.

We parents both managed to find a few hours to sleep between Chicago and Seoul, but Thomas would do no such thing. That brings us to these final images. This is Thomas collapsed on the Holt shuttle on the way to the hotel, and Thomas still bewildered as he sits on Daddy's lap at the Hotel.

Good night, or good morning, whichever is appropriate!

16 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

Thank you for doing this! I love, love, love, your updates and photos! I'm with Thomas on the vacuuming suspicion...but then again, she could have been baking just one last loaf of strawberry bread. I am very familiar with the glazed-over look on Thomas's face - Kim and Doug did, indeed, come through for you on that one. And since Thomas doesn't actually watch TV, I'm sure he was all the more intrigued by the DVD player. I have been thinking about you constantly and am so relieved you all arrived safely. Keep the photos and stories coming!!

Leona said...

Thank goodness for this blog, because of the hollywood writer's strike this is the only entertainment I have. Congrats and I am very glad you got thru that long plane ride in good spirits. Jared may remember that the Habas are white knuckle flyers at best. We are very, very excited for you and we wish you the best. No, we will not babysit...

Leona

Reborn? said...

Hey, Jared, if you read this before you read symphony email, read the symphony email now--
signed "your desperate employee who really doesn't want to ruin your trip"

Grandma Linda said...

Hey you guys...I love you. Such cute pictures of Thomas!! So glad you got there safe.

Thomas, Did all the Star Wars guys make it? All 10? Did you play Star Wars on the plane? What did you watch on the DVD player?

Can't wait to see pictures of you all in Korea and Russell and Elliot.

Aunt Sharon is hanging in there. Sarah due in tonight.

Love you, Mom (Grandma Johnson)

Becky Doran said...

It is so good to see the pictures of you all there safe! Now to see the picture I am waiting for...the one of the new family of 5!!! We are so excited for you. We have been praying for you and thinking of you all tons and will continue to do so! Thanks for the great updates! :-)
Lots of love,
Chad, Becky and Grayson

Becky said...

Did this flight beat first class to Paris??? That's where you were flying just 5 short years ago; sipping champagne and watching some french film. Remember St. Patty's Day....my how things have changed in 5 short years =)

I could have won some money here...Uncle John and I were going to bet whether Thomas would sleep on the plane. John's comment: "how could a young child not sleep on a 15 hour plane ride?" Now I can say to him..."Aunt Becky was right again and ...welcome to Beth's world!!!"

keep us posted (no pun intended)

love,
Aunt Becky

Grandma Linda said...

Just checking to see if I can log in without help.

Grandma Linda said...

Yippee I can do it!

daningo said...

Thanks for the update. I couldn't sleep last night and as I sat awake I thought about you all arriving in Korea. Glad to hear you made it safely. We are praying for you!

Love, Ingrid

Emily said...

So glad to hear you're there! :) Keep us updated when you can - we can't wait to hear about your first meeting with your beautiful new boys!

swede said...

I echo Molly's comment - I am so glad that you are doing this so we can keep tabs on you! You should also know that you've attracted a mini-following at Mobium Creative Group.

I am so thankful you are there safe and hope you all get some rest.

Oh, I am so excited for you! (And for me, because I am taking Wednesday off work so I can meet you at the airport.)

Love,

Carrie

Susan said...

So glad you got there safe and sound. Can't wait to see and hear more of your adventure. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Susan

hotflawedmama said...

YAY! Can't wait to hear about the first meeting!

Lori said...

Thanks so much for doing this! I'm logging in every morning when I get to the office and am wolfing down some tea and breakfast (just didn't have time to write this morning before lecture!). There won't be any dry eyes when everyone sees you all 5 together for the first time! Can't wait -

Much love,
Robert, Lori, Nina and Nicole

P.S. Beth, tonight at Presanctified, just before Holy Communion both Nina and Nicole (who were in great spirits) got in a "mommy mood" and so I held them both as we all three took communion together. I thought, it's coming in your future! :~)

Aaron said...

Excellent! Love reading about it all. Looking forward to the next post.

Leo said...

I can only imagine the mix of tiredness and excitment! It is exciting for me and i am not even there! I can't wait for next Wednesday! Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I can't be there but this technology sure helps.

Love you guys.