Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Saw What I Saw

When confronted with a moment that should be tear-filled, I tend to clam up, step back, and though fully present and experiencing a depth of emotion, display a face of stone. You can call it what you will, a means of protection, a way to survive, God's grace, but it is how I am built. 

It has been seven months since Jared, Thomas, and I stepped off an Ethiopian Air airplane and back onto American soil at Washington D.C.'s Dulles Airport with our nine-month baby girl, Lucia Ethiopia Kebedech, and not a day goes by that I do not think of her birthmother. Unlike my sons' adoptions, in which we only were able to meet their foster mothers (a truly wonderful gift), Jared and I, together with the other couples in our travel group, journeyed six hours south of Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, to meet members of our children's birth families.

"How was it?" I am quizzed when people learn of this encounter. Typically I unravel the logistics of our brief meeting - the anticipation while sitting in a crowded room waiting for our family to be called, knowing that Lucia's birthmother was so close, the glaring lights thrust upon us as we were videotaped, how much my daughter, our daughter, resembles the woman who carried her for nine months and gave her life, the fumbling questions, and how surreal it all was. And yet while I have teared up on occasion when speaking of and thinking of her, I have remained on pretty steady emotional ground. Until last night. 

Our dear friends Wade and Julie, just one of the beautiful couples with whom we shared our journey, created a video chronicling their trip to bring their daughter home from Ethiopia. Esther Selam's birthday is within weeks of Lucia's; the two lived together in Durame; and Selam and Ethiopia probably were together for that six-hour drive with their nannies to the care center in Addis where we finally met them. This couple from Tennessee and us from Iowa received our daughters' referrals on the same day; we passed court in Ethiopia on the same day; we flew together from D.C. to Addis and then back again. While this is uniquely their story, in many ways it is ours also. Because what they saw, we saw; what they experienced, we experienced; and because of it, we are forever bonded with them and all those members of our group.

And so I ask you to indulge me today because I know you love me and our family, or at the very least, you like us, and accept the lyrics of Sara Groves as my offering for this week's Poetry Wednesday. Right now, this is where my heart is and anything else given would be false. And I invite you to take thirteen minutes of your time and journey with Julie and Wade (and Jared and me) to Ethiopia.   

 

I Saw What I Saw
Sara Groves
I saw what I saw and I can't forget it
I heard what I heard and I can't go back
I know what I know and I can't deny it

Something on the road
Cut me to the soul

Your pain has changed me
Your dream inspires
 Your face a memory
Your hope a fire
Your courage asks me what I'm afraid of
And what I know of love

We've done what we've done and we can't erase it
We are what we are and it's more than enough
We have what we have but it's no substitution

Something on the road
Cut me to the soul

Your pain has changed me
Your dream inspires
Your face a memory
 Your hope a fire
Your courage asks me what I'm afraid of
And what I know of love

I say what I say with no hesitation
I have what I have and I'm giving it up
I do what I do with deep conviction

Something on the road
Cut me to the soul

Your pain has changed me
Your dream inspire
 Your face a memory
Your hope  a fire 
Your courage asks me what I am afraid of
And what I know of God.




8 comments:

Joshua said...

so amazing, tears are falling.

Molly Sabourin said...

Wow.


There are no words to describe how touching that is. The image of Jared on the rug with Lucia is what really did me in. I am thankful to your friends for creating this video, giving those of us who care a great deal about your family a glimpse into the journey that's made your family such a miracle, and a blessing to so many.

Jenny said...

Beth,

We have been so inspired by your journey, and by your courage and candor in sharing it with us. I love seeing your heart through these posts!

Michelle said...

anything I can think of saying seems so inadequate.

consider this a big, huge hug over the internet. cause today a hug means more than words.

~Michelle

paige said...

Oh my goodness, Beth. I think it was the picture with Thomas in it that really got me. So teary!

Seeing this video made me realize how little I know of your experiences. It's just so much - too hard to just explain to someone. Thank you to your friends for creating this video so that I can understand a bit more - thank you for sharing it.

We love you guys and each of your precious children. What gifts they are to me, bobby and our girls. We're so lucky to have each of you in our lives.

Kris Livovich said...

Beautiful video, Beth. An incredible way to share their/your experience. Sometimes technology is a blessing.

Ingrid said...

What a beautiful post. The video was so touching. It was neat to see your pictures and a piece of your journey. Thank you for sharing.

mammamim said...

"We love him, because he first loved us." ~ 1 John 4:19

My whole being is full of love for you, at being allowed another glimpse at a time in your lives " ... What I Saw... of God"