Sunday, October 24, 2010

In Case You Were Wondering

What exactly are we doing when we are not visiting flower farms, apple orchards, pumpkin patches, or hiking at  state parks? Well, here is just a glimpse.


Thomas and I have been taking a four-week knitting class every Tuesday evening and he has declared knitting to "be kind of cool." My favorite moment at last week's class (which I must add consists of us and two other women) was when he asked the rest of the group whether they had ever watched Sesame Street which I find funny in itself and then especially so because I don't think he has ever watched Sesame Street, not on tv anyway. Still haven't gone digital. 


The princess ate her first whole banana with a lot of supervision. Besides pointing at anything she wants, Mrs. McGoodles has begun to take a few steps and has also begun to demonstrate some fine dance moves to such classic hits as "Old McDonald."


So yes, there was some more potty in pans, tea pots, and even the homemade play-dough but these two volunteered to help me with this task. Molly, this may be Priscilla or Mary's beaded headband. I'll put it in the bag of stuff you left behind. Elliot put it on and declared himself a princess. 


Russell rivaling Bono as "The Fly."


Elliot with a little improvisation on his classic "Pirate" face.


So Lu Lu Bird eats everything, except cottage cheese. She is loving her beans and rice in this picture. Also she often coos, "Ma Ma Ma" but there also exists the loud, "MA!!!" and I think, "Dear God, she is yelling at me too."


Thomas and I have been focusing on watercolor painting for our main school lesson for the last two weeks. We have used just three colors (red, blue, and yellow) and have been painting on a nearly saturated piece of heavy duty paper. The goal has been to experience "pure color."


And finally, over the course of the last two months, Thomas and I have been working on memorizing this quote from Dostoevsky, and we finally have it down pat. Now what to do for November and December. I am thinking of a portion of the Luke 2 passage. Any suggestions?

And that's it in a nutshell. A peaceful and blessed week dear friends.

8 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Wow...that quote is a wonderful one for a child to memorize. Inspired!

I love that you are knitting with T. My grandson learned to knit in public school at the age of 9 or so, and he knitted *all the time* for several months. Made his mom a bag and started on a blanket for a friend.

elizabeth said...

lots of lovely things here! good to 'hear' from you!

Kris Livovich said...

My children will be on your doorstep tomorrow morning.

Gretchen said...

I love those kids! Beautiful and busy all at once!!! By the way, we received confirmation about staying with Tonya Brown in Uganda. So keep praying whether or not, God wants you to go. I want you too!!! ;0) I'll be sending you some blog links on facebook, of American women we will visit in Uganda!

Michelle said...

I echo Kris - you are amazing Beth!

Jen said...

Wow! So much fun stuff happening at your house :)

I love that you and Thomas are knitting together. I can't wait to get Isaac started.

Cami said...

I love to read your updates and see your photos of your darling children! It sounds like things are going well with you guys. Thinking of you....

Molly Sabourin said...

AWESOME!!! Knitting, painting, Dostoyevsky and just an insane amount of cuteness? Bravo, my homeschooling warrior! I believe that is Mary's headband but Elliot can sure rock it, so don't worry about getting it back to her anytime soon. I loved every single thing about this post. Thank you!