Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mindful


"Look, the glory around us, the trees and birds. I lived in shame. I dishonored it all and didn't notice the glory. The foolish man."  from The Tree of Life



Mindful
Mary Oliver

 Every day
I see or hear
something
that more or less

kills me
with delight,
that leaves me
like a needle

in a haystack
of light.
It was what I was born for-
to look, to listen,

to lose myself
inside this soft world-
to instruct myself
over and over

in joy,
and acclamation.
Nor am I talking
about the exceptional,

the fearful, the dreadful,
the very extravagant-
but of the ordinary,
the common, the very drab,

the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar,
I say to myself,
how can you help

but grow wise
with such teachings 
as these-
the untrimmable light

of the world,
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass? 




Feast of the Ascension
May 24th
Riverside Cemetery Moline, Illinois

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

beautiful! thank you!

Jared said...

So, um, did that one survive? I'm sure you're aware that not all caterpillars survive the twins', er, examinations. Hopefully he was one of the lucky ones.

Molly Sabourin said...

Did you take those, Jared? They're fanstastic! I love the mesmerized looks on the boys' faces. : )

Thanks so much for this poem, dear Beth. I adore it.

Jared said...

Those are all Beth - with my cropping... Like the posts - all Beth with my editing. Those are indeed great pictures.