Wednesday, December 2, 2009

O Living

It has been a bleak, gray day here in Davenport, Iowa, marked with a crispness and frigidity in the air which makes me realize that winter is indeed here. Even as I viewed the beginnings of a magnificent sunset of deep pinks and purples through our second-story window, a twinge of melancholy manifested itself within me as the day began to segue into night. Perhaps the sadness was the result of too little sleep or the beginnings of a sore throat. It might have commenced because after rummaging through my cedar chest in an attempt to find our passports, I rediscovered old letters and postcards received by precious friends while in college, and the passage of time seemed even more pronounced. Before email, blogs, cell phones, texts, we wrote letters. Page after page we filled with our thoughts, our feelings, our questions, and our supposed and real sufferings and laments. We decorated the outside of the envelopes with images torn from magazines and witty quotes from our favorite authors, theologians, or philosophers. These letters are lovely really; a tribute to a time past but living in the relationships which still remain. A postcard with Ms. Emily Dickinson on the front written by my friend Julie caught my eye and I pulled it from the sundry items in my memory box. It now lies on the table beside my bed. And though attempting to drive away these dark feelings by drinking cup after cup of hot coffee, the absence of many of those closest to me was unmistakably profound.

Today is poetry Wednesday. My dear friend Molly posted one of my favorite poems by Walt Whitman; one which I even considered for today. In the end, I opted for e.e. cummings. I first heard this poem via Woody Allen's work, Hannah And Her Sisters. I am not sure if I ever read the entire poem until today, but it is lovely.


somewhere I have never travelled, gladly beyond
e.e. cummings

somewhere I have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which I cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though I have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal as Spring opens
(touching skillfully, mysteriously) her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, I and
my life will shut very beautifully, suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility: whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens; only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing choice, Beth. That's an extraordinary poem. I, too, have letters I've saved - letters whimsically decorated - in a keepsake box and feel overwhelmed by nostalgia everytime I look at them. Reading your reflections here, sharing poetry, provides me with a taste of the constant edifying, intellectual, spiritual and literary stimuli we were able to provide one another back in the day. I am thankful for that! I am thankful for you.

Jennifer said...

I must admit I'm not an ee cummings fan, but I do love this poem. Nice choice.

Also, I'm from Davenport, Iowa! Born and raised!

Looking forward to reading more poetry and hearing more about your continued journey in the adoption process.

-Jennifer

Kris Livovich said...

This poem is beautiful. Thank you for continuing to participate in the poetry thing.

I have quite a few letters saved - the majority of them are heart filled, longing declarations of love from my now husband. Some of them I think, will have to be burned before my children see them. My husband might just die of embarrassment.

I wish we had letters from right NOW. We are such different people than we were 10 - 12 - 15 years ago. I dare say we are better (we hope!)

Miss Effie said...

Beth -- I do have eggs for you. I will be in town tomorrow morning. How/where can I meet you?

Drop me a note by going to www.misseffiesflowers(dot)com

Cathy

Beth said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed the poem! And Jennifer, thank you for your comment. I have not read much e.e. cummings and can see where he might not make it top on someone's list of favorite poets, but this one is a good one. Plus, how fun to meet a fellow Iowan via the blogosphere!