Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy In The Moment

As I glance out my kitchen window, I surmise that the clouds plan on lingering and will not be chased away by the sun on this last Wednesday in October. A hush like a heavy blanket covers our house. My eldest son, eyes still adjusting to the brightness of the kitchen light, lies draped over me, his head curling into the crook of my neck. We have no where to go, no where to be, but here. Together. We are quiet for a long time. And while I desperately love his two younger brothers, I hope that the "Olympians" will continue to rest for just a few minutes longer as I feel the warmth of Thomas' body fresh from his bed, smell his morning breath, and stroke that thick mass of black hair on his head.

Once upon a time it was just the two of us. As a baby and toddler, I would bring Thomas into bed with me, placing his body upon my chest, amazed that I had been given such an incredible gift and knowing how unworthy of it I was. That baby is now five, still a child but already journeying toward his independence from me, his mother, as he should be. So I try to grasp at and hold on to every possible moment offered to linger with him alone, silently praying the words of Elder Porphyrius as I hold him, "Lord, enlighten his heart. I entrust him to you." And then, "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner." The silence is ultimately broken as my son becomes more fully conscious. Inevitably the conversation turns to a topic near and dear to his heart. With eyes wide open and with all sincerity, Thomas launches a conversation that will carry on throughout the remainder of the day, "Mom, did you know that Megatron...?"

Be happy in the moment, that's enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.
Mother Teresa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely - so, lovely. I imagined you in the chair, alone with Thomas thinking back on the last five years with wonder and gratitude and it filled me with such deep joy. Thank you for always uplifting my spirits. This post was a gift to me this evening.

Anonymous said...

I am ready for the photos now of the boys in their costumes! : )