Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor of Love

Five years ago, thanks to the gracious offer to use their cottage from our dear friends, Greg and Marian, Jared and I headed up north to Wisconsin for our last hurrah as a couple without children. Nestled amongst trees and snuggled close to a lake, the cottage was a haven offering us a place away from the city to relax and spend time together. Throughout our week, Jared and I slept late, drank several cups of uninterrupted hot coffee, took long walks in roads lined with corn, hit a local thrift store more than once, read, took naps, and even ventured out on the Lambert's canoe. In hindsight, we should have stayed for two weeks rather than one.

In recent years, the Lamberts' cottage has metamorphised into a meeting place for those of us who left Chicago to live in smaller, quieter venues. Last year, nine adults and nine children crowded into the two-bedroom cottage over Labor Day weekend and as sleeping bags, games, books, and sand littered up the space I grasped the beauty of casting aside thoughts of yesterday and tomorrow and truly living in the moment. In the presence of pure mayhem, I treasured the laughter which often resulted in tears, the stories told and retold, and the bond of friendship which exists between these precious people in my life.

For various reasons, our family was the only one able to return to the cottage with Greg and Marian this Labor Day weekend. Besides the homemade Cubs birthday cake awaiting Thomas upon our arrival, the Lambert's insistence that Jared and I go out while they baby-sat the children, and Marian and I's Saturday garage sale excursion which resulted in some new treasures, when I think back to this particular vacation I will most remember Elliot's and Russell's cries for "MiMi." I will recall the way Thomas, who tends to be reticent in demonstrating his affection, enthusiastically offered generous hugs and kisses to both Greg and Marian. I will remember the sight of Greg and Thomas huddled together, thick as thieves, playing Star Wars guys per Thomas' instruction (trust me, this is no small feat). I will recollect Russell and Elliot snuggled on Marian's lap as she read them stories. But more than any of these memories, I will never forget the sacrifices made on our behalf and the abundance of unconditional love these warmhearted people have for my zany family. Greg and Marian, thank you so much; we love you too!







2 comments:

paige said...

What amazing people Greg and Marion are. Your pictures are great. We missed being there - but it sounds like it was an important time each of you - some good bonding and a bit less chaotic! Love you guys...

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love all of you guys! Next year, we will so be there with bells on. Once again, I adore the photos - tell that Jared to make them bigger. Greg and Marian are the sweetest, that's for sure!