Wednesday, November 24, 2010

-arise, my soul; and sing

At the outset, I must admit that I stumbled across this poem by Mr. Cummings from Matthew Gallatin. It has stuck with me and I thought I would share it here. A blessed and peaceful holiday to you all. Truly we have so much to be grateful for. And may our thankfulness spill over and be manifested in tangible demonstrations of love for our brothers and sisters near and far away.


now does our world descend
e.e. cummings

now does our world descend
the path to nothingness
(cruel now cancels kind;
friends turn to enemies)
therefore lament, my dream
and don a doer's doom

create is now contrive;
imagined, merely know
(freedom: what makes a slave)
therefore, my life, lie down
and more by most endure
all that you never were

hide, poor, dishonoured mind
who thought yourself so wise;
and much could understand
concerning no and yes:
if they've become the same
it's time you unbecame

where climbing was and bright
is darkness and to fall
(now wrong's the only right
since brave are cowards all)
therefore despair, my heart 
and die into the dirt

but from this endless end
of briefer each our bliss-
where seeing eyes go blind
(where lips forget to kiss)
where everything's nothing
-arise, my soul; and sing

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Beth -
beautiful poem. I love the title - it reminds me of a song.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! And feel free to steal the idea of reading Psalm 100. It is a beautiful Psalm.

Hugs,
Michelle