Friday, April 3, 2009

Treasures

I am not sure if it is merely because it is Friday and the sun is shining and I was able to rake a few leaves out of our flower bed while the children played outside with my mother, who I might add is still able, thank God, to run around and chase her four-year-old grandson; or if it is because both my bathrooms are cleaned (yes, it is true), the children's laundry is washed, folded and put away, the kitchen relatively picked up, Russell's and Elliot's room dusted and vacuumed (Thanks, mom and dad!), and that I feel almost on top of my domestic duties; or because the boys slept in and I was able to take a shower (do not ask how long it had been for I myself had lost count of the days); or because I finally managed to color my hair (I am not ashamed to admit it, I absolutely feel much better when I cannot see any gray); or because Oreo cookies are Lenten (I once heard that a Greek gentleman created these little gems, might want to check that out but whatever you do, never ever read the list of ingredients); or because last night I was able to leave the house for almost an hour and purchase a new pair of Doc Marten shoes. (For those of you not in the know, I have a near obsession with buying Doc Marten shoes at thrift stores. I take tremendous pleasure in paying pittance for shoes that are pretty expensive. Though my traditional black ones that are in desperate need of polishing will always be my favorite pair, I do love this new pair - they may be men's, I don't care.) I also found a brass letter holder in the shape of a woman's ringed hand and, believe it or not, I was looking for something just like this for our mail, which seems to always be out of control and collecting in corners throughout my kitchen. Even Jared, who usually rolls his eyes when I manifest my newest treasures, thought this one was pretty cool. We're hanging it up tonight. I also brought home Robert McClosky's Blueberries for Sal for which I had been searching. (I got it for only $.88 - love Robert McClosky and The Goodwill!) Maybe it is because today Thomas expressed his desire to draw an anatomically correct picture of himself, or because Jared and I are gearing up to the watch the latest episode of Lost on our computer, which has a better picture than our television, and I might forgo Coke Zero for the real thing, or because tomorrow is Saturday and I finally get to talk to one of my precious friends whose egregious use of her cell phone has now limited our conversations to weekends, and later that evening I will be attending the Quad City Symphony Orchestra's final Masterworks performance. Perhaps it is because one of my dear friends from out-of-town will be here for nearly a week and I will be able to spend time with her and her three boys, as well as go out to eat on Sunday night with a group of old high school friends. Whatever it is, at this moment, I am overwhelmed with a tremendous sense of contentment and gratitude for all the treasures with which I have been so richly blessed.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Love this post. There are so many blessings that I normally over look. Thanks for the reminder!

(Oh, and I agree, never look at the ingrediants..Oreos are so yummy!).

daningo said...

WOW! So glad I am part of your feeling blessed. I can't wait to see you tonight!!

paige maddex said...

Treasures - I needed to read your joyful post. This time of lent - so gray and rainy seems a bit oppressive. Your post reminds me to count my blessings - not the least of which is special friends. Love you!

Michelle said...

beautiful Beth - all reasons quoted are reasons to feel blessed. :)

Farm-Raised said...

I miss you, Beth. Glad to know you are doing well.

xoxo
Leslie