Sunday, September 22, 2013

Now you are four


Beauty is a heart that generates love.
Thich Nhat Hanh 

The Princess has taken to singing. 

Just the other night I stopped my frazzled attempts to clean the kitchen to give pause and listen to our daughter's tiny "Jesus Loves Me" as she quietly lay in bed awaiting sleep. The purity of the moment, her sincerity, humbled me anew. A glimpse of beauty. A glimpse of grace.

Another day she stretched her lean body in my arms as we all sat together, a solemnity on my heart as I read the beautiful book 14 Cows for America, remembering September 11th and describing that terrible day to the innocents around our kitchen table. And she began to sing. From her mouth, the Prayer of St. Francis, "O Lord make me an instrument of your peace..." A light in the darkness. A glimpse of God.

Our little light turned four last Saturday. An intimate gathering of family and friends came together at my mother's home to mark the day. She was near giddy with excitement and could not help lingering near the gifts, gingerly brushing aside the pieces of colored tissue paper, hoping to catch a glimpse at the hidden contents, giggling when gently reminded that she needed a bit more patience.

You are lovely Lucia Ethiopia Kebedech, chosen and special, carved into the palms of God's hands. Happy Birthday to you!



Our traditional Ethiopian clothes.


Her favorite...chocolate cake

No comments: